Wednesday, September 19, 2007

Thematically speaking...

I really admire people who have themes to their blogs. I’ve seen some good ones: movie and book reviews seem to be pretty popular, technology talk is also big, as is food, be it diet related or discussions about great recipes. Lots of writers have themes because their books do: fantasy, sci-fi, vampires.

I never thought about writing to a theme, either to my stories or to my blog. I simply started writing stories that I liked with characters I wanted to listen to and hang around with for a while. Perhaps that’s why my blog theme is nonexistent (some might say lame).

Blogging is definitely a craft that one has to master. It’s not simply writing down one’s feelings like a diary or cataloguing the day’s events as in a journal. People who do that are either a) just keeping a diary online or b) big name celebrities whose every movement is interesting to us peons. The rest of us who fall in the middle? No one wants to hear about that junk.

And this is where I find myself. I’m not Perez Hilton. I’m not TMZ. I don’t have access to big names although I did have an awesome new celebrity sighting yesterday (check out the listing on Lite Snacks). I am your Hollywood connection because I am here, in Hollywood, trying to make connections. And I’m yours because I’m well, who else would I be?

All this to say, the blog is still a work-in-progress. I don’t have it absolutely settled yet what I want to say and how I want to say it. I think I might do some short stories on these pages and hold a contest or three that would tie into my website. For the people who have stuck around so far, thank you very much for your patience and please let me know if there’s something you want to know about specifically. Like, should I do writing tips? Reading tips? Author tips? Audience tips? No tips at all? I am open to suggestions.

Your Hollywood connection,
Leigh