Monday, October 15, 2007

That’s So Funny!

The whole LOL theme of this week has gotten me thinking about comedy. Whether it’s funny stuff you write for television or movies or books, it’s simply very hard to do. Funny is so subjective and when I see how popular Adam Sandler movies are, I realize how very differently we all define the term.

I, for instance, love quirky Monty Python-esque humor, like Douglas Adams wrote. On television, I love Steve Carell’s and Ricky Gervais’ brand of uncomfortable comedy and the irreverence of Conan O'Brien and Matt Groening and “The Simpsons.” In movies, I think the bizarre minds of Terry Gilliam and Michel Gondry and Tim Burton can come up with truly wacky stuff, although lots of people might think their material is not particularly light.

I have tremendous admiration for people who can make other people laugh.

(You gotta check out Jerry Seinfeld’s documentary “Comedian” following him for a year as he develops a new stand-up routine - very enlightening and, yes, very funny.)

Lots of times I write stuff I think is hilarious but other people kind of go, “wha…?” when they read it. Head Honcho is the only person I know who thinks I’m wicked funny but then, he kind of has to.

When you're a writer who’s trying to make someone else laugh, the most disappointing thing is to see a joke fall completely flat. It’s miserable and really makes you question whether you have a sense of humor.

On the other hand, when someone does laugh or they tell you something you wrote was funny, man, that is a great experience.

Your Hollywood connection,
Leigh