Tuesday, November 20, 2007

Turkey Day Television

I don't get sports. Correction: I don't get sports except for baseball.

Golf? Bor-ing.

Basketball? Too sweaty, too much yelling.

Hockey? Was a fan in high school when it meant something but pro? No thanks.

Football? See all of the above.

When I was a cheerleader in high school (yes, it's true! I was a rah!), football meant something to me. I knew all of the players, had a crush on a few, understood what each game's value was to the overall place of our high school within the state league. I didn't quite understand the game itself (my friend Mark had to explain to me that there was no goalie in football which I thought was a pretty big omission) but I enjoyed it. At the very least, I knew when to lead an offensive or defensive cheer.

But now that I don't have to care, I don't. I have on occasion watched the Super Bowl and I used to prepare for that like I would prepare for the Olympics: by reading all I could about the teams and the players so I could make it mean something to me. And yes, that was kind of fun. Fortunately, Head Honcho is not a fan. He'll watch the Super Bowl as he's surfing the net but it's not a day he sets aside to wallow in chips and salsa.

Thank goodness for small favors.

So come Thursday as we're drinking our coffee and scarfing down apple pie, we won't have any of the pigskin on the telly. Instead, we'll probably pop in a classic like The Godfather or JFK, an epic movie that has nothing to do with the holiday but makes us think big thoughts.

Your Hollywood connection,
Leigh