Monday, December 29, 2008

I swore...

...that I would take a long break from web stuff while my parents were visiting. I figured it would be the perfect time for me to wean myself off Facebook and Goodreads and Blogger, etc. After all, who's reading the web between Christmas and New Year's? Who needs to know what my current status is, whether I'm reading a book, avoiding work, or making cookies?

Well, um, me.

As it turns out, I think almost exclusively in "status updates," what the Twitter folks call "tweets." Here's an example: when I saw "Valkyrie" the other day, I thought, "The best thing about Tom Cruise's performance is his hair." And then a second later, "I could status that."

Or another: while walking through Santa Barbara on Sunday, I overheard a woman explaining to her young son what "war" was and I thought, "I could status that."

[NB: I am single-handedly starting the trend of using "status" as a verb. You are welcome to also, but I'd appreciate it if you attribute the original usage to moi. Merci.]

Sadly I didn't have access to FB until I got home late last night. It was all I could do not to update constantly, cycling through all the things I did and saw and heard over the weekend.

So here we go, New Year's resolution #1: stop checking the web all the time. It'll take some serious restraint but it will be worth it in the long run. I'll get valuable time back and stop this sucking black hole of internet, at least temporarily.

Oh hey, I could status that.