Friday, May 8, 2009

Random Thoughts on a Friday

4 Things I'm Excited About - Yet Sad Too

Isn't that the very definition of "melancholy"?

1. Star Trek - the new JJ Abrams movie is out this weekend and I have tickets for tomorrow night.

Happy: I have been so jazzed about this film since I saw a trailer for it during I am Legend last year. I have seen every Trek movie and television incarnation and even if I didn't care for Deep Space Nine and Enterprise, I did watch some episodes just to keep checking to make sure I hadn't changed my mind.

Sad: It can't possibly live up to the hype that my own mind has created and much as I love Abrams' work, I know he's not a Trek fan. He grew up as a Star Wars nerd and never the twain shall meet. I know that sounds way too geeky but it's true! Trek and Wars are two very different universes and they appeal to different types of people. Anyway, I still want this film to do well.

2. LOST - the two hour season finale is on next Wednesday.

Happy: I have heard a rumor that we will finally meet Jacob which is very intriguing. He has been a specter that haunts the island for so many years and we really don't know anything about him.

Sad: Once the episode is over, we will have to wait 8 months for its final season. Yes, final season! I'm happy and sad about that too! Also, I have a feeling they may explode the hydrogen bomb and then simply leave us hanging until next year.

3. The Hunger Games - the library has reserved a copy for me and I can pick it up tomorrow.

Happy: I've heard so many awesome things about this book, plus my agent has suggested I read it as research for a book I'm writing now.

Sad: I'm sure I will love it and then be super depressed that my book can't possibly be as good.

4. Summer - almost here!

Happy: I love the warm weather and going to the beach and in July, HH and I will be meeting my brother and his family in Arizona on their vacation. Yay!

Sad: I gave myself a summer deadline for the rewrite of this book which makes me anxious. I am happy and sad about this too: love the ideas I have but afraid I won't write well enough for submission.