Friday, September 4, 2009

Random Thoughts on a Friday

A jumbled mess of Friday

1. Soda Fail - yes, I took this one at the studio...it cracked me up!! If you can't read the sign, it says "Coke Machine Now Working" - right on top of the big Pepsi logo!

2. Tuesday, September 1st was an anniversary for me: celebrating 8 years of not smoking! Quitting was - hands down - the best thing I have ever done in my life. Yeah, yeah, I shouldn't have started in the first place (kids, don't try this at home!) but I was a cool kid - or at least I wanted to be, plus I danced, plus, plus, plus...well, you know, there are a lot of excuses for smoking. But pretty much, every day I thank god I was able to quit.

3. Discovery Channel reality shows rule! This summer HH and I discovered (hahaha) "MythBusters," "The Deadliest Catch," "Survivorman," "Everest Beyond the Limit," and "No Reservations with Anthony Bourdain" (Travel Channel). Great shows, perfect for the summer.

4. Oh No They Didn't logged over 1300 comments on its post about teen books with plus-size protagonists, the list created by Leanne Italie (by contrast, average posts there generated 100 comments or less). Sure, not all of them were cogent or nice but among the huge number were some very heartfelt comments from people about being heavy, about not having role models in books, about being teased. Just goes to show you what a very important this issue is to people: everyone has an opinion.